Sunday, July 22, 2012

Today I am writing an article for my weekly column in Yesterday's Island (Island Science at http://www.yesterdaysisland.com/) about the recent hysteria over the Great White sharks around the Cape and Islands and commenting on the clearing of the beaches last weekend over what turned out to be sunfish (Mola Mola) which are relatively common here. Here's a link to the past week's news stories:

The Nantucket Field Station has helped to house and support some of the researchers who have been tagging great White Sharks like Dr. Greg Skomal of Shark Week Fame. I have just discovered this site which has a lot of information on what's up in shark news "without the hysteria".

Over the past few years I have written articles in Yesterday's Island about the lumbering sunfish and as I resurrect this blog I thought I would dust one off and revisit why people think "shark!", when in reality it is more likely to be a dolphin, whales, or sunfish.

Oddballs of the sea! 

No comments:

Post a Comment